Opening Minds lessons are planned to enable pupils in Years 3 and 4 to develop a wide range of skills in a safe and supportive learning environment.
Lessons cover critical thinking and study skills as well as an appreciation and understanding of pupils’ own and others emotions and reactions to them.
- Our Amazing Brain
- Making Choices
- Puppy Training – Learning about how attention is also like a puppy, which can be trained with an attitude of kindness, patience and repetition
- Strategies to manage emotions
- Noticing the Wobble – Recognising that we all ‘wobble’, and exploring ways to steady ourselves
- Working with Difficulty – Learning about the amygdala and its role in ‘fight, flight or freeze’
- Growing Happiness – Discussing how we can best nurture ourselves and others
- The Yum Factor – Exploring specific ways to savour happiness and learning about how happiness, kindness and gratitude are connected
Lessons also focus on critical thinking and study skills helping pupils to gain a greater awareness and understanding of both themselves and others.